1. Where are you located?
Cakes for Occasions is located at 57 Maple Street in Danvers, Massachusetts. Our store phone number is 978-774-4545.
2. What are your store hours?
The store is open Monday-Saturday 9:00am – 6:00pm EST.
3. Do your store hours change for holidays?
Depending on the holiday, our store hours may change. For Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter you can check our special Holiday Menus that you’ll find posted on the website throughout the season, otherwise, please call the store for details.
4. Do your products contain nuts?
Cakes for Occasions is a nut-free bakery so you can order all of your desserts with confidence. You can visit this page for more information. Products that we sell in our store that come from outside sources contain no nuts, but packaging may be labelled " may contain traces of nuts " due to local, state and federal requirements.
5. How soon should I order my cake?
Cakes for Occasions requires one week notice for any and all custom ordered cakes. A 50% deposit is required for all custom ordered cakes. Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable. Please note that we require 72 hours notice for any and all cancellations or changes.
6. Do I need to make an appointment when ordering a custom cake?
An appointment is not needed for anything except Wedding Cakes. You can call or walk-in and any of our knowledgeable staff can help you.
7. How do you price out your cakes?
Our cakes are priced based on the size of the cake and the artwork. Please note that prices are subject to change due to the nature of our products. All of our cakes are custom designed and artwork pricing may vary.
8. Does my cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes. To ensure freshness, keep your cake refrigerated.
9. My party is on Sunday, but I am picking my cake up on Saturday. Will my cake still be fresh?
Yes, keep your cake refrigerated. Depending on the flavor, cakes have a shelf life of 5 to 11 days. See our Cake Tips for more information.
10. Do you offer any other products for special dietary needs?
Along with being a nut-free bakery we do offer a few products that are egg-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free and we offer sugar-free cakes and cupcakes. Please contact us for more specific information regarding ingredients that you may be sensitive to.
11. How do you color your buttercream?
We use the finest food coloring available to color our buttercream. Please keep in mind that excessive amounts of food coloring in our buttercream MAY stain and MAY change the flavor.
12. Can you match colors for my cake?
If you provide a swatch or swatches, we will do our best to match to the color(s) as close as possible, but please keep in mind that due to food coloring limitations, we may not be able to match all colors and we cannot guarantee an exact.
13. Can I provide a picture for you to use to decorate my cake?
Yes, of course! Please do keep in mind that all of our cakes are created freehand and, therefore, will not be an exact replica of any materials provided to us for duplication.
14. Can you put a photograph or picture directly onto a cake?
If you email your picture to us, we can print it on a sugar paper, creating an edible image. This edible image can go directly onto your cake.
15. Will my cake look exactly like the cakes that are on the website?
While every cake/image on our website has been created by Cakes for Occasions and has been done here at our location, not every cake will be an exact replica of the image. We pride ourselves on the fact that we hire cake "artists" not just "cake decorators". With that said, every 'artists' has his/her style/technique of creating masterpieces. How we divide up our orders is by 'ability' not 'originality’ of cakes. Just like true artists, they have different talents & abilities. We recognize these differences and process our work to our talented staff by each of their own talents & abilities. Each cake is a ‘recreation’ not an ‘originality’.
16.Why do we need to give a weeks notice on custom orders? That seems like a long time.
We like to explain to our customers that our ‘cake artists’ are no different than any other service/talent professionals. Just like hair dressers, each ‘artists’ books up during their week with the work load they are given. To ensure a custom cake, made by one of our talented team, we need advance notice so they can prioritize and give the correct amount of time needed for each cake creation they make.
17. For character cakes, do you hand draw the characters on the cake?
Depending on size, medium and other artwork for the cake, hand drawn characters may be an option. Edible images are sometimes used and embellished if needed or to deliver the most accurate representation of the character. Your cake artist will determine the best approach for your cake order.
Our pricing ranges from $4.50 to $6.50 per serving depending on the flavor of cake and filling you choose. The design fee will vary depending on the design you choose and the delivery fee will depend on your reception location. When meeting with any of our consultants, you will receive an estimate based on your custom designed cake.
2. What size cake do I need?
Depending on the number of guests you’ll be having and how your cake is being served will determine the final size of your cake.
3. Can you deliver my wedding cake?
Cakes for Occasions delivers to the North Shore area, as well as Boston. In addition, we deliver to southern New Hampshire. Our delivery fees are available upon request. Please contact us to inquire about your specific location.
4. What shapes do you offer?
Our wedding cakes are available in round, square and hexagon as well combining multiple shapes.
5. Can I have multiple flavors within my cake?
Yes, this is popular option and a great way to offer delicious choices to your guests.
6. Does Cakes for Occasions provide fresh flowers for my cake?
Cakes for occasions does not provide the flowers, however we will contact your florist to confirm the size, shape and set up of your wedding cake.
7. Can I make an appointment for a wedding consultation?
Absolutely! Our wedding consultants are available to meet with you for a wedding cake consultation and complimentary cake tasting. Please call 978-774-4545 to schedule an appointment.
8. When should I reserve the date for my wedding cake?
Come and meet with us anywhere from 3 – 6 months prior to your wedding date. A 50% deposit is required to reserve your date.
9. What is artwork and how do I select artwork for my wedding cake?
Artwork is the design our artists place onto your wedding cake and can be as traditional or as creative as you wish. At Cakes for Occasions, we will custom design your wedding cake. You are welcome to choose from the many artwork designs that we have in our portfolio or if you have a design in mind, please let us know so we can create something unique for you!
10. If I want ribbon on my wedding cake and my wedding cake is being ordered through my reception location, when do I need to provide the ribbon?
If your wedding cake is being ordered through your reception location but you are providing the ribbon, it needs to be in our hands, at Cakes for Occasions, the week before your wedding (we are closed on Sundays). If it is not, then we will default to using white ribbon. Check with your reception location on the best way to get the ribbon to us.
11. Should I save the top tier for my first anniversary?
When you book your wedding cake with us, it includes a complimentary anniversary cake so you can celebrate with a fresh, delicious cake prepared especially for you.
Tips for Getting Your Cake Home Safely
Thank you for purchasing a cake from Cakes for Occasions. We take great care and pride in each cake we create. Many of our cakes require gentle care and handling. In order to ensure that your cake arrives at its’ destination in the condition in which it left our store, we would like to give you some helpful tips:
1. Always carry your cake by its base. Make sure you don’t put pressure on the sides or top of the box, which could press against the cake and damage it.
2. Put your cake on a flat surface in your car. We do not recommend placing your cake on the front or back seat!
3. Do not put your cake in the trunk of your car UNLESS it is cold outside (50 degrees or below is recommended).
4. Turn on the air conditioning in your car during warmer months, especially if the cake will be in the car more than a half hour.
5. Drive carefully! Especially if your cake is two tiers or larger. Sudden stops or turns could cause the cake to shift.
6. Make sure the area you are putting your cake in is free of debris or items that could roll into or fall onto your cake during transport.
Storing Your Cake at Home:
1. Refrigerate your cake if it:
- Has fresh fruit or mousse filling
- Has whipped cream frosting or filling
- Is a two-tier cake or larger
2. Buttercream cakes do not need to be refrigerated, but should be kept in a cool (approximately 70 degrees) environment.
Your cake is best when served at room temperature. Take it out of the refrigerator at least a half hour before serving, more for larger cakes. Enjoy!